Shipping Of Frozen Embryos
What You Will Provide
- Frozen embryos should be shipped in a liquid nitrogen dry shipper. Cryo shipping services are available from http://www.cryoport.com
What We Will Provide
- At least 2 vials/straws of at least 25 frozen embryos.
- The freezing/thawing protocol.
- Thawing and embryo transfer.
- CWRU clients will receive the recipient mother(s) and their offspring a few days after birth. Clients outside of CWRU will receive weaned offspring.
- Investigators need an IACUC protocol from their institution to receive mice from the core. CWRU IACUC protocols need to specify use of the Case Transgenic Core.
- We charge $2,000 for frozen (or live) embryo transfer. An additional minimum of $200 for animal packing/transport will be charged for non-CWRU local orders.
- Our goal is to produce sufficient offspring to establish the strain. Note, however, that success depends in part upon the quality and number of embryos. One major repository has consistently provided us with small numbers of poor quality embryos. We encourage investigators to ask for multiple vials of embryos to improve the probability of success. Because of these constraints, we cannot guarantee success, and the service fee will be charged regardless of outcome.
You will need the following information to order
- PI name, address and contact info
- Account Number
- IACUC protocol number
- Name of allele
- Genetic background
- Room to deliver mice to
- Number of vials or straws
Success Rate in Frozen Embryo Transfer
- The core produces an average of about 12 live offspring per strain by frozen embryo transfer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Frozen Embryo Transfer?
Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) is the thawing of cryopreserved embryos and their transfer into recipient mothers to generate live born offspring. A large number of strains and mutants have been cryopreserved as embryos in repositories at The Jackson Laboratory and elsewhere. We can generate mice from these frozen stocks for you. In addition, live preimplantation embryos can be shipped by courier between coordinated transgenic cores and transferred to generate mice.