- For best results for reanimation of frozen sperm, we strongly recommend that clients provide at least two straws (and the volume in each straw). Frozen sperm must be shipped in a liquid nitrogen dry shipper and stored in liquid nitrogen (not vapor phase) upon arrival. For details of shipping, handling and storage, please contact Weihong Jiang before arranging shipment.
- Investigators need an IACUC protocol from their institution to receive mice from the core. CWRU IACUC protocols need to specify use of the Case Transgenic Core.
- $2,000 for two attempts at IVF (the client is responsible for purchase of oocyte-donor females)
- $2,000 for ICSI
- An additional minimum of $200 for animal packing/transport will be charged for non-CWRU local orders.
Success Rate for In Vitro Fertilization
You will need the following information to order
- PI name, address and contact info
- Account Number
- IACUC protocol number
- Genetic background
- Allele name
- Source and # of straws for frozen sperm
- Number and age of males for live mice
- The core produces an average of over 25 live offspring per strain by in vitro fertilization.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why In Vitro Fertilization?
In vitro fertilization is used to retrieve cryopreserved sperm, when there is a behavioral or physical obstacle to mating, or when fertilization needs to be observed. Artificial insemination is not used in mice because it requires larger quantities of sperm than can normally be collected.
Consult with us for recommendations on how to get that old male to mate. The best strategy is prevention: keep your stocks of mice young and reproductive. Males are sacrificed to collect sperm. Thus, attempts at natural reproduction should be completely and thoroughly exhausted before reqiesting IVF. .
If IVF fails, there is recourse to injection of sperm (IntraCytoplasmic Sperm Injection or ICSI). ICSI can be used to rescue valuable stocks. In fact, ICSI has been shown to work on sperm retrieved from dead animals, as well as from freeze-dried sperm. If the last male of a valuable stock dies, place the animal in the fridge and call us immediately.